Thursday, April 30, 2009

Need help finding info?

I have been trying for days to get any info I can find on my Grandmother, the only bit I have found is her social. I can't even find her Obituary. There is no option for contacting family, so Im on my own.


I don't even know her maiden name, something Im very curious to find out about now.


Can anyone help me out here, I can give you all the info I have.





Name: Harriet Thompson


Birthplace: I think WV, but Social says issue state is DC


Birth Date: May 22, 1923


Death: May 1984


Place of Death: WV


Social: 578-48-1595


Husband: Samuel Dallas Thompson (still living)


Children: Clara Holt Baltimore MD, Samuel Thompson VA, Fred Thompson Owens MD, Gail Rosenthal Chicago IL


She is buried in Blue Ridge Memorial Gardens in WV





The only bit of info I think I might have is on her possible sister. Her name was Mamie Mullins Oxley, she died in 1997, I was able to find her obit and her husband, but it had no helpful info as far as my grandmother.





Thanks for any help.

Need help finding info?
Some people didn't get obituaries; I look them up for people who post on the GenForum page for Stanislaus County, and I only find 4 out of 5.





Your grandmother's SSN Application would tell you her mother and father (mother's maiden name), her birthplace and birth date, her address and employer at the time she applied. It is $27 though. If you are interested, look her up on





http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-b...





and click on "SS-5". Print off the letter, send it in with your check. It takes 6 - 8 weeks after you send it in. If she was born in WV but her SSN was issued in DC, it sounds like she went to work for the Feds; that or she and her husband moved to DC for some other reason.





A less sure but cheaper route - send the cemetery a stamped, self-addressed envelope, a small donation for the staff donut fund and a request for genealogical data. Sometimes they have things like maiden name of the deceased, birth place, spouse (you don't need that in this case, obviously.)

shoe labels

No comments:

Post a Comment